Sunday, October 07, 2007

Well – I was headed to a roundtable on Marketing your RIM program, but I got there and no one was there yet…plus, I started thinking that I wouldn’t have more input. I would like to be more of a sponge right now. So later on in the week there is a marketing session that I will go to.

My second choice was this session on RM Continuing Ed, which now seemed like a much better choice than the first. On my way I ran into Dr. Langemo and we chatted briefly about Jesse’s last session. He thought it was great, too. But it reaffirmed his belief that the state of email is still pretty much nowhere. He said he now thinks he needs to stress this issue more in his seminars. One more big question mark with no “right answers” in the RIM world!

ARMA 2007: Continuing Education: building a career path in RIM
Raymond Cunningham, CRM, CA, CDIA+, CIP, ERM-m – University of Illinois Foundation
Sunday 10/07/07 3:30 pm

Raymond is a self avowed “certification junkie”; he is on the listserv!
I love these quotes he gave us: “Careers are built – they don’t happen by luck”, and “You must be proactive in your career”; because it tells me I am in the right session.

He told us about the ARMA Core Competencies document which will be released. There will also be a skills assessment with it, which sounds really useful. Raymond also went over all the major certifications and it was really useful to me- I guess I‘ll know more about the AIIM certs if the Listserv members ever agree on how valuable they are! Raymond gave us a lot of good advice I think, and the best was that everyone’s situation is different, so we need to keep open minds and get motivated no matter what we are doing now.

He suggested Google-ing yourself: you need a big footprint to impress prospective employers! Who knew!? LinkedIn, FaceBook, YouTube, Jobsites…and checking stuff like indeed.com

I do know I want to get ahold of “Jobs vs. Careers in Records Management”, July 1997 – Pemberton, he seems to really like what mr. pemberton has to say.

I need to take an inventory of where my career is, as he suggested, and get moving. And after listening to him, I feel I do need to talk to him or Jesse about prepping for my CDIA+ exam – Raymond thinks going in cold isn’t a great idea.

I think I’m glad I ended up in this session rather than the roundtable today : )
Next stop, the welcome party!

Tomorrow bright and early is the keynote by Michael Oxley. Should be great. I wonder if they will have a motivational marching band like they did last year to kick it off in San Antonio...

No comments: